Canada is one of the world’s wealthiest countries with its blend of British and French heritage. It has consistently proved to be an attractive country to visit. No wonder it records thousands of people requesting visa either for visits, work opportunities or to study. Canada is home to beautiful cities like Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario to name a few, not forgetting it has one of the world’s most famous tourist site; Niagara Falls. Located at the border between Canada and the United States.
If you’re looking to visit, work or study in Canada, this article is filled with the necessary information you may need for your application. It is noteworthy to know that Canadian visa application could sometimes take a long time, so be prepared.
If you’re a Nigerian and own a valid ECOWAS passport you can apply to either study, work, visit or become a resident of Canada. Keep reading for information on these types of visas, requirements and fee.
Temporary Resident Visa / Visitor Visa
You will require a visitor’s visa to visit family and friends or to go for tourism in Canada. If you are transiting through a Canadian airport on your way to your final destination, you will need a visitor’s, a transit or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). A visitor may also take a program of study up of up to six months without having to obtain a study permit.
Unlike other countries where you can choose single or multiple entry in your application, with the Canadian visa application you don’t need to choose. A multiple entry visa is what all visa applicants are automatically considered for. They will review your application and issue you a visa depending on your situation. Parents or grandparents of Canadian citizens can apply for a long-term Temporary Resident Visa, this visa allows them visit for a period of up to two years on their initial stay. It takes anytime from 40 days for your visa application to be processed.
Basic Requirements for Temporary Resident Visa / Visitor Visa Application
You must meet some basic requirements to travel to Canada. You must:
- Have a valid travel document, like a passport
- Be in good health
- Have no criminal or immigration-related convictions
- Convince an immigration officer that you have ties—such as a job, home, financial assets or family—that will take you back to your home country and that you will leave canada at the end of your visit
- Have enough money for your stay.
If you are a business visitor, looking for ways to grow your business, invest or advance your business relationships in Canada, you will need to apply for a visa to go and do business in Canada. Activities that constitute business purposes include buying Canadian goods or services for a foreign business or government, taking orders for goods or services, going to meetings, conferences, training, conventions or trade fairs. It takes about 40 days as well for your visa processing.
Basic Requirements for Canadian Business Visa Application
- You plan to stay for less than six months
- You do not plan to work in Canada
- Your main place of business is outside Canada
- You have your travel documents, you may also need identification cards or proof that you have a job in your home country.
- You have ties to Nigeria; meaning your source of income and profits, is outside Canada
Want to go study in Canada? You will need a study permit which you must apply for from Nigeria. It is a requirement for foreigners who want to study in Canada. You should apply as soon as you receive your letter of acceptance from the school you will be studying in. It takes roughly 17 weeks for your study permit to be processed.
Basic Requirements or A Study Permit Visa
- Prove that you have enough money to pay for your tuition fees & living expenses
- Be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. You may have to provide a police certificate.
- Be in good health. You may need to complete a medical exam.
- Convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your studies
You will need a work permit to work in Canada. There are two types of work permits, the: open work permits and employer-specific work permits. An open work permit allows you to work for any employer in Canada. The employer-specific work permit names the employer you can work for, how long you can work, and the location where you can work. It takes 31 weeks or more for your work permit to be processed.
Basic Requirements for A Work Permit Visa
First check these instructions recommended for Nigerian applications. You will need proof that:
- You meet the requirements of the job, such as: proof of education, or work experience.
- Show that you can sustain yourself during your stay in Canada and to return home when permit expires
- Be in good health and have a medical exam, if needed
Permanent Residency / Immigrating to Canada
You can go about immigrating and getting permanent residency to Canada through the following schemes. International students in Canada can apply under the Skilled Worker Immigration Program. Other ways of getting residency in Canada include –
- Quebec-selected skilled workers – Immigrate as a skilled worker in the province of Quebec
- Start-up visa – Immigrate by starting a business and creating jobs
- Immigrant Investors – Immigrate by investing in the Canadian economy
- Self-employed – Immigrate as a self-employed person in cultural or athletic activities, or as a farmer
- Family sponsorship – Sponsored by your relatives, including your spouse, partner, children, parents, grandparents, and others to immigrate
- Provincial nominees – Immigrate by being nominated by a Canadian province or territory
- Atlantic Immigration Pilot – Immigrate by graduating from a school or working in New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, or Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Caregivers – Immigrate by providing care for children, the elderly or those with medical needs, or work as a live-in caregiver
Each one has its various requirements and it’s necessary you check them out here before you make any applications.
Asides the basic requirements for each visa type listed above, you should also see that your application contains the following which are general document required for your application.
Visa Fees and Processing Times
- Temporary Resident Visa / Visitor Visa Fees – $100 CAD per person (N29,307)
Family of 5 or more, $500 CAD (N146, 536)
Transit travellers, $7 CAD for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), this is about N2, 051.
- Business Visa Fees – $100 CAD per person (N29, 307)
- Study permit fees – $150 CAD ( N43,986)
- Work permit fees – $155 CAD (N45, 500)
General Visa Application Document Requirements
- Your valid e-passport; should be older than six months and have at least six months’ validity period with two blank visa pages
- Fill and sign appropriate form for the visa you’re applying for here
- An invitation from a person or business representative that you will be meeting in Canada. It should include contact information, duration of your stay, purpose and dates of visit
- Bank statement of the last 6 months
- A note of information about your trip. It should contain contacts, destinations, purposes of your trip, duration of stay, booked hotel addresses, provisional airline booking, registration to a seminar, trade show, science conference, etc
- Previous passports (it serves as evidence of your previous travel history);
- Payment for your Visa Processing Fee;
- Two passport photographs with your signature and date at the back.
- You should also submit a photocopy of your bio-data page.
Where to Submit Your Application
Applications are received in Abuja and Lagos by VFS Global Services Nigeria, an approved Canadian Visa Application Centre. Please note you will be required to pay a service charge of 58.88 Canadian Dollars per applicant (N17,246). If you need to provide your biometrics, a fee of 85 Canadian Dollars (N24,897) applies and also covers the service charge for application handling. Their physical addresses can be found below:
Canada Visa Application Centre, Lagos
Manor Hall, Plot 110, Admiral Ayinla Way, Opposite Treasure Garden Estate, Third Roundabout, Lekki Phase I – Lagos
Canada Visa Application Centre, Abuja
Silverbird Entertainment Centre. Plot 1161, Memorial Drive,2nd Floor, Central Business District, Abuja